3/20/09

spring breaking

Years ago, spring break would have meant leaving the books and homework behind for a few days to find some way to celebrate the crocuses that are bursting from the frozen ground, promising warmer days ahead. I spent one spring break at a homeless shelter in DC, one doing relief work in New Orleans, and last year I spent it on a beautiful beach in Thailand, celebrating Easter with my friends. This year, I have celebrated spring break with a few appointments with refugees, stacks of research books, hours of undisturbed transcription, and evenings at home with my parents. This use of time, too, I’m afraid, marks the many ways I’ve changed this year, even if words cannot name those changes. I’m done trying to describe change as I see it, partially because it is one more source of exhaustion, partially because I don’t have time.

But I am taking lots of spring breaks in the middle of the drudgery while I am home--my discovery of mate, walks in the park, bread-baking, and letter-writing. (Does this make me sound like an old retired woman?)

New things I am certain of:
I am surrounded by so many endlessly gracious people.
Next year is one year.
Good times gonna come.
My priorities need further tweaking.
I have the travel itch.