“Who are you?”
Desiree, a student, a friend, a volunteer. I never know quite how to answer the question, other than by telling them that I am not, in fact, part of Catholic Charities or Help Ministries or the government.
How DO I get myself into these situations, I wonder as I rush into Strawberry Square shopping mall, searching for Auntie Anne’s Pretzels. Right across from the pretzel place will be the Human Resource department for the hotel. The woman told me on the phone that this was where I could go for the interview today for the job I applied for online last week. Not for me, no; I’m seeking a dishwashing job for my friend who speaks very little English. It’s important--he lost his job and no longer has a caseworker and welfare can’t perform miracles so we either get this job or--How DO I get myself into these situations?
We’re there. We’re three minutes late, but it’s okay. The youngest son is with us and he’s four and absolutely charming. Everyone I meet with these people develops a soft spot for them--I’m thankful that compassion and grace can be found in even the most stoney office people.
I find myself in new, interesting, and often stressful situations everyday. I wonder about what it means to create healthy boundaries and if there is such a thing. I wonder about what it means to care for others in a sustainable way. I wonder about the importance of staying rooted and surrounded. I wonder about what it means to lay down my life for someone. I wonder about when I’ll ever maintain a pace of life that won’t cause me to be exhausted everyday. I wonder what I’m doing in this web of busyness I’ve woven. I wonder about purpose and I wonder about meaning. Grace keeps happening. School keeps going. Life keeps asking me to make decisions.
"Who are you?" say others. I’m in no rush to answer.