3/30/09

life in piles

I can tell you about my life in piles. I have ongoing to-do lists, that will not be concluded until a glorious day in May that is seeming less sad and more appealing. The nonstop train that is my life needs to pause. For now, though, I’m enjoying the ride with others who are speeding too.

There are piles of books on refugees from Southeast Asia that are mostly overdue from the library, for my senior thesis project, which rightfully is taking over my life. I want to do a good job on this because I really care about it. I also have piles of reference forms and evidence of applications still waiting to be passed to people and turned into programs. I have piles of donations still sitting in the basement to sort and deliver to my new refugee friends. There are also piles of papers dealing with school registration and ESL classes and resource guides, sitting a little less touched on my desk this week. Also a stack of letters I would like to respond to. We must not forget, too, the pile of clean/worn and unfolded laundry from which I dress myself everyday.

Surrounded by piles, busy friends, and a never-ending list of to-dos, the future seems surprisingly bright this week. I’m looking forward to tomorrow and the mayhem it will likely bring and I will sleep tonight satisfied that we brought Ah Dan to his first day of school, Emily is home, Soe Win got a job, I canoed at Gifford Pinchot, and the journey feels worth it.

“The best prayer is to rest in the goodness of God, knowing that goodness can reach down to our lowest depths of need.” -Julian of Norwich