“The more I think about human suffering in our world and my desire to offer a healing response, the more I realize how crucial it is not to allow myself to become paralyzed by feelings of impotence and guilt. More important than ever is to be very faithful to my vocation to do well the few things I am called to do and hold on to the joy and peace they bring me.” hn
In light of so many things going on right now, I’m thankful for Henri Nouwen and his remarkable ability to give words to my deepest inklings.
This week, I have been thinking a lot about human suffering. For lots of recent weeks, actually, I have been thinking a lot about human suffering--and particularly human suffering in Burma.
I spoke at our weekly human rights awareness meeting. And I’m still blown away by everyone’s interest. I am in this tricky place of not knowing quite how to move forward. Regardless, we’re going to move. We’re going to pray and we’re going to share ideas and we’re going to raise awareness and hopefully some funds. And we’re going to fight the paralysis that comes with knowing about great suffering and be dedicated to doing the small things we can do now.
--So ready I could burst.