[God Bless You] - Pi Warapawn (my dear older sister who teaches me how to speak conversational Thai in the afternoons at Agape Home) and I exchange these words often. I'm reminded a lot these days of how abundant God's blessing is -- especially as I spend more time with Pi Warapawn and Pi Jim and all of the orphans and nannies at Agape who daily live with AIDs and have physical conditions I will likely never know from experience. Their realities are hitting me harder and harder the more time I spend at Agape. Simultaneously, I’ve been struck by the way God delivers and fulfills promises and performs miracles daily in the lives of my friends there. Cripples are walking. Those who were once unloved in the government orphanages are smiling, laughing, and emotionally healthy. Major surgeries are yielding impossible results. I never want to take for granted the powerful ways God is working here.
This past week was nothing ridiculously special, with the exception of Valentine’s Day. The guys chipped in and bought all the girls chocolates and flowers, and came into the classroom singing “I want it that way” by the Backstreet Boys. Very memorable, to say the least; we all felt the love. It feels good to have such solid brothers (and sisters!) here. On Friday, we continued celebrating at Ajaan Mike’s house with a pasta dinner. I seriously forgot how good garlic bread tastes and a nice leafy green salad - amazing! I ate so much food that night. When I was walking home, I was especially aware of the pasta that sat like a rock in my stomach and with each step I took, I promised myself that I wouldn’t eat for a week (ha). When I finally reached home, my entire family was particularly energetic and excited: they unmasked this amazing chocolate cake with white frosting and a chocolate coating and pink flowers to celebrate Wan Walentine, in honor of Pi Jezz (me). I definitely felt the love, no matter how much my stomach hated me for the rest of the weekend.
On Saturday, I went to Agape Home to spend some time with the older orphans. I painted nails (which is quite possibly the girliest thing I could ever find myself doing) and sang songs and helped make pancakes with the little kiddies. It was a fun afternoon, to say the least. Afterwards, I met with some friends in a new part of the city for dinner and spring-break planning. As of now, it looks like I will be going to a remote island off of Krabi where few tourists go. Crystal clear blue water, a few stimulating reads, and a couple of good friends equals the best spring-break set-up. Initially, I was trying to go to Cambodia to check out a slum community I’ve recently heard about...that plan fell through. I think some processing time will be much needed, however, once I end my time at Agape, before I move to the Karen village.
On the way back from dinner and planning on Saturday night, we passed by what looked like a Blockbuster. We went inside to check things out and it turns out that you can not only rent movies there, but also ROOMS to WATCH the movies! We chose Blood Diamond and were led upstairs to a very western-styled family room with couches and a big screen tv! It was really fun, but kinda messed with our minds. Walking out onto the street with Thai vendors and smells and people and communication barriers was really...strange? difficult? confusing? I’m still not sure. Still, a good movie if you haven’t seen it.
Sunday, my Buddhist Thai friend (Nad) took me and Kara to Thai Lanna Church, which is definitely the best church I’ve been to so far. They had a guest pastor, so I will be interested in hearing the Thai pastor next week. We shared a communal meal following the sermon (which I LOVE), and then I went to the mall with Nad and Kara and had more cultural experiences. I wish I could record the funny things that happen to me daily here...but this entry is already getting long and I’m afraid boring.
That concludes my “uneventful” (ha!) week.
Something I recently read (from “My Utmost for His Highest” by Oswald Chambers”):
“Let the past sleep, but let it sleep on the bosom of Christ, and go out into the irresistible future with Him.”