Hi friends!
This past weekend, I had a really cool learning experience - I followed a bunch of monks to a forrest temple in the mountains and tried to live like them (as much a I could, given that I am a Christian and a female). We started out our pilgrimage on Saturday morning and visited several gorgeous temples on the round-about way to the temple. Wats (temples) will never cease to amaze me, just how elaborate and distinct each one is. We visited a cave, also, where there was a huge jade buddha, and we had some free time to explore and traispe around in the bat-infested darkness. I LOVED the endless blackness and knowing that there were still so many parts of the cave that I didn't see. (embrace the mystery, yeah?) The best part was that we walked by candle-light, which made it feel especially thrilling and crazy. Since then, I've had this insatiable desire to go spelunking. We'll see...
When we arrived at the temple, we were given a very special meal from some villagers who knew we were coming and ate on this balcony place, over a cliff, where we watched the sun set over the rice fields. It was gorgeous. After that, we filed into the meeting hall and learned the various forms of meditation, as instructed by our monk friend Gabe. We meditated for a while and then went to bed really early because of what was to come the following day. At five o'clock, we woke up and put on clothes and gropped through the darkness to meet up with the monks. We followed them down the mountain for an early morning hike to observe villagers pay alms to the monks. Buddhist monks don't cook or buy food; they receive offereings of townspeoples. They also eat once or twice a day and under very strict circumstances, so as to observe the Buddhist idea that having desire of any kind (whether desiring good things or bad things) will yield suffering. They choose to deny themselves normal comforts and conveniences to achieve this. Anyway, we arrived at a marketplace that was bustling at 5:30 in the morning! Everyone was buying food to offer to the monks. In a line, the monks walked past the villagers and received the food and said a blessing (Buddhist chant) over the giver. I love the haunting melodies of the Buddhist chants, even though I have no idea what they are saying.
Buddhism, as a philosophy, has so many great ideas. I love the idea of impermanence (things are always changing, nothing remains, etc.) and the idea of imperfectness (life is imperfect, there is suffering, there are failures and letdowns) and the idea that the world does not revolved around anyone so we aren't supposed to cling to our identities or the things we know about ourselves. Buddhists acknowledge the four noble truths (there is suffering, there is a cause, there is relief from suffering, and here is the path). With the exception of the final truth (the path to alleviating suffering), I can agree as a Christian. But my biggest issue with Buddhism is that it ends there. It encourages us to be empty and to be disconnected from everything around us so that we won't feel anything (suffering OR the opposite of suffering.) Feeling nothing and being completely empty is peace and happiness to them. I choose to empty myself so that I can be filled by the good things of God. I choose to sacrifice comforts and give up my rights in certain areas of my life that I'm choosing to focus on God. Things are impermanent and imperfect and don't revolve around us...but there is One who IS perfect and permanent and the world DOES revolve around him. The further I explore Buddhism and find parts I deeply resound with and respect, the more I am finding Buddhism alone to be incomplete. And the thing that is missing is the fundamental difference that makes me feel full and complete and loved and at peace instead of feeling empty and numb. The difference, for me, is Jesus, and this became really clear this weekend.
After the monks blessed the food, we shared breakfast, watched the sunrise, and then practiced some more meditation. Then we retired to our "bedrooms" and took naps, showered, relaxed, talked quietly, practiced more meditation, and some of us had the opportunity to visit the sauna and breathe deeply the medicinal herbs. Then we packed up, hopped onto some see laus and went home. As soon as I walked in the door, my Khun Me was ready to take me to the salon to get my haircut, which was a funny experience. I'm not sure the hairdresser had ever cut a farang's hair before. It looks decent...because it looks the same as it did before, haha.
Other things:
This week - classes and internship.
I received a letter from KIM, one of the girls I went to Thailand with this summer! It was SO GREAT to hear from her!
I also received a package from Mom and Dad, which was so much fun! Now I have valentines to give to all my friends!
Today I took my history exam and it feels really good to be done with that!
Tonight, some girls and I are meeting for a bible study at a local cafe, within walking distance from my house, which will be good.
My friend Lindsey will sleep at my house tonight because she lives really far away and won't be able to get home very easily. In a little while, to celebrate the termination of the exam, some friends and I are going downtown for lunch!
On friday, we're celebrating Valentine's Day at Ajarn Mike's house and we're going to have some Western food - crazy! Should be a good time!
I am currently reading two books that I always wanted to read (funny I'm doing this in Thailand!) All the people in our group got together a list of books we brought along and we have a library system. Right now, I'm reading "Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger" by Ronald Sider and "Out of Solitude" by Henri Nouwen.
Okay, friends, blessings. Miss you and love you. :)