Things are starting to slow down here, in the same way that they are speeding up. The first part of this program will be ending in the next few weeks. We finished our language class this week and I feel pretty good about my ability to speak Thai, for having been here for only a few weeks. Soon, we are going to be traveling together as a group to Ayuthaya and Sukothai and Bangkok before we disperse for spring break. I’ll be spending my spring break with Lindsey (from Westmont) and Sarah Clemmer (from Messiah) on a small island off of Krabi. It’s inexpensive and there’s snorkling and rock climbing and caves to go exploring. Of course, we will be spending most of our time on the beautiful Thai beaches, basking in the sunshine. It should be a lot of fun.
As I’m nearing the end of my experiences here in Chiang Mai, I’m starting to anticipate the endings of so many great things. Living with my Thai family has become so comfortable and familiar to me. I can expect my Khun Me to have crackers and a coffee mug sitting at my place each morning. I love that she’s proud of me and likes to hold my hand in public. I can expect that my Khun Pa will play around with our dog to make me laugh. I like that he tells all of his friends that I’m Miss Thailand because I wai him every morning and got an A on my Thai language midterm. I can expect that Nom (my brother) will be shy and awkward when he asks if he can “send me” downtown on his motorcycle. I can expect that Ning will break out dancing when a favorite song comes on the radio. I will miss walking from my home passed the rugby field and the spirit houses and the huge, glorious trees that line the path from my house to CMU. I will miss passing the temple and dipping low to pass the monks who are receiving their alms each morning. I will even miss the stray dogs that terrify me every evening when I walk home. I will miss strolling down Huae Gow Road, checking out the little cafes and making small-talk with a little woman who has a strawberry stand.
More than all of these things, I will miss Agape -- the people there, the stories, the miracles, the laughing, the playing, the sitting, the being. I will miss sitting on a mat with Pi Wara and Pi Jim, trying desperately to communicate something in Thai and giving into the laughter that we can all understand and appreciate. I will miss the quiet moments of just being together and receiving each other’s company. I will miss Pi Wara’s timid laughter and her parting words “Thanks, God. God bless you.” I will miss spending time with my little sisters and brothers there, who LOVE the trampoline and running around and biking and jumping and laughing. I will miss reading Nong Nikki’s poetry and I will miss my shadow Nong Suwara, who faithfully finds my lap to sit in when I’m not standing. I will miss seeing Jintana and being reminded of just how great our God is. I will miss being daily reminded to see the joy and hope in the brokenness and tragic reality of AIDs.
My heart is full here. I don’t want to forget any of these things.
On a lighter note: I didn’t brush my teeth this morning because there was a huge cockroach in the sink.
Thanks for reading and for caring.
LOVE
Desiree
P.S. Currently reading:
Ragamuffin Gospel (Brennan Manning) - convicting words.
With Open Hands (Henri Nouwen) - beautiful insights on prayer.