2/8/08

happies and crappies!

After having a very good week, I thought I would point out some high-lights and some bummers, in the form of happies and crappies.

Happy:
My Khun Pa was around this week and found out that I LOVE kow niow muu ping (which is sticky rice and grilled pork on sticks). Because he doesn't speak much English, most of our conversations center around food and tend to go back to my favorites. One evening, we were particularly chatty and the next morning, he woke up extra early and went out and bought kow niow muu ping and put it next to my coffee mug that sits on the table. It felt good to have someone know my interests here and do something like that for me.

Happy:
We had the opportunity of visiting four local wats (temples), following the conclusion of our Buddhism segment in Thai culture class. They were each so unique and beautifully decorated. I really love temples and I'm fascinated by Buddhism as a philosophy, from a personal perspective. (I'm fascinated by Buddhism as a religion and cultural influence, from a sociological perspective).

Happy:
I got to talk to Mom, Dad, and Doug on Tuesday on skype...and they had the webcam set up! It was really good talking to them and seeing them! And later that day, I caught Chelsie on skype, who is abroad in Costa Rica, and it was equally great talking to her! I love how small the world feels thanks to technology. (I'm slowly appreciating it more and more now that I'm overseas.)

Happy:
Teaching this week at the local school where many of our orphans go was really great! We have more of a system and good activities to keep them engaged and interested. Everyday, I leave feeling more and more energized and encouraged, as opposed to feeling drained and not cut out for "teaching work". I have such a profound respect for teachers (both here and back home), thanks to this experience. I've also been getting to know a few of my students, which has been really cool too.

Happy:
One day after classes when I didn't have my internship, a friend of mine (Lindsey from Westmont) and I went to a park and spent the afternoon chatting. She came home and met my Khun Me and stayed for dinner - it was one of those much needed times of feeling connected to other people here.

Happy:
Some girls here and I started up a bible study that met for the first time last night! We met at a local cafe downtown and it felt SO GREAT to have that time of sharing and praying. This is definitely something I've been missing since being here.

Happy:
Last night, my family and I went out for dinner at a restaurant. We are all becoming much more comfortable with each other and it feels good to go home at the end of the day and be able to relax, instead of coming home and feeling like it's another part of the day that requires a lot of mental-energy to communicate with my family members.

Happy:
My Thai is getting better!

Crappy: I experienced my first day of homesickness, partially induced by being physically sick, partially by my inability to communicate things with my Thai-speaking family. Fortunately, though, that's over!

All in all, the happies far outweigh the crappies. And more happies are coming up soon! Tomorrow, we are going to stay at a Wat for the weekend and live like monks. It should be a really interesting cultural experience! Stay tuned!