In Traveling Mercies, one of my favorite books, Anne Lammott talks frankly and unapologetically about faith and life. She tells readers, “Here are the two best prayers I know: ‘Help me, help me, help me' and 'thank you, thank you, thank you.'”
This week has been one in which I understand well these two prayers. People remind me often that God never gives us more than we can handle. While I ultimately believe this, a week of building challenges has made me question it a little -- still no news in the job arena (as of my writing this), a hit and run that put a nasty bill on the car, a series of confusing conversations, some frustrating changes of heart, a depleting bank account, exhausting days, and a hefty scoop of discouragement because of all these things.
Help me, help me, help me.
For every tricky thing that happened this week, exciting and hopeful things happened in doubles and triples. When my interview for dream job in York was cancelled, an elderly couple from church took me out for lunch to tell me about how my grandparents took them under their wings when they were first missionaries in Zimbabwe and how they were going to take me under theirs. Then a friend from the farm came over with Amish friendship bread and, before leaving, prayed for me. After I swallowed the sad news about the car, I met two more kind neighbors who gave me information about the other vehicle, had some hilarious interactions with local police officers, and met a guy at an autobody shop who fastened my bumper for free. After some confusing conversations came some reassuring conversations. After some changes of heart came some peace with the uncertainties that (more often than not) characterize my life.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Bright spots abound, the earth bestows, I laugh and cry so easily. And I taught Myint Mu how to bake a cake. And Meg, my best two-year-old friend, and I played princesses. And then I walked around my neighborhood this morning, passing out posters to advertise for the farm stand, and met so many interesting people. And today is harvest day. And someone’s birthday, somewhere. And moments ago, I treated myself to coffee in my favorite coffee nook. And moments ago, I got a phonecall from dream job in Harrisburg and will find out tomorrow whether or not I’m in (help me, thank you). And now, I am watching a fantastic thunderstorm from my window in the beautiful home God has given me.
The thank you’s outweigh the help me’s, at least right now. And at least right now, it is enough.