A dedicated student of my new neighborhood, that is. Living in Allison Hill is proving to be an interesting challenge and learning experience, to say the least. Amanda, one of my roommates, describes it well in one of her more recent posts.
I am confronting so many things in and around me that must be deconstructed and rearranged in order for me to be at a place where I can learn enough from my neighborhood and my neighbors to invest here. (To think I tried to do this in a summer-Ha!) I know nothing and, each passing day, I recognize that there is even more that I don’t know. Instead of getting a hang of things, I am realizing that there are new issues I need to navigate, responses I need to reevaluate, urban cultures and problems that are far more complicated than I initially thought.
There is a mural two blocks down the street from my house. I pass it, ironically, every time I walk down to the intersection that unnerves me the most. There are always a lot of people at this corner, I’ve had some things said to me there in the past, and it’s known in Harrisburg as the place to get drugs. Regardless, when I walk in that direction, I pass by a colorful mural with beautiful words and hopes for Allison Hill. “Live the conversation--We must be the change we seek--Putting the neighbor back in the ‘hood--” among many other things. It’s a good reminder that we are to live the conversation, not just talk about this relevant issues, but really take responsibility and be a part of the solution. I can’t even get at the “how’s” yet since I’m a newbie, but I love what I am sensing here on the hill--so much potential for change, so many places ripe for resurrection, so many instances of redemption around me, too.
There have been a lot of shootings in Harrisburg lately and a community meeting was held two weeks ago in response. There were a lot of good ideas and thoughts shared, but it will be interesting to see what will actually happen. I wanted to give somebody a hug, put my fist in the air, and shout huzzah with all of the other people eager for peace in the city. This isn’t a process for me to rush, though, especially since I know nothing still. I’m only just getting to know when it’s okay to strike up a conversation and when to put away all friendliness. Things that I am learning: it is sometimes most loving to not smile, it is sometimes healthy to close the door on my refugee friends who visit me often, it is really important to not do things (or not not do things) out of fear, there are so many revolutionaries here.
I am learning a great deal about myself, too. I’m surprised (and a little frustrated...) to find that I feel empowered to walk around the neighborhood with children or with a male. Part of me wishes I could say that living here with my status as a single young female is the same as living with the same status elsewhere, but it’s not. It’s not an issue usually, but I am learning more about my comfort zones and pushing myself out of them in ways that are helpful and not too risky.
Intentional living looks very different here. Bring it.