1/4/09

To whom it may concern

Dear 2009,

You feel like an extension of 2008.

I mean, thanks for coming. I liked the celebrating and the counting down and the moments leading up to your arrival. I like the hype, the new beginning, the turning of the page, but I’m not sure I was ready.

Many things will happen while you’re here and, to be quite honest, I am just as scared of you as I am excited about you. Because, you see, while you’re here, I’m going to be finishing my last semester at school, graduating, and figure out the first steps of “real life”. These are great things, but I’m uncertain about how things will pan out with you. I’ve generally approached other years with a sense of confidence, knowing that I have a supportive family and friends that keep me grounded and take care of me. I’m not saying that you will take those things away from me, but I know things are going to change and I will be doing things on my own for some time, now that you’ve come. And this is okay, but please know that I’m really not as strong or confident as I may have appeared in the years that have preceded you. So please, 2009, go easy on me. And go slowly, but not too slowly. Go about medium speed. I’m going to try to appreciate each day I have with you and not take for granted these important times of uncertainty. While you’re here, I’m going to try to learn how to be a better neighbor too, wherever I go, whoever I’m with.

So, I guess I’m glad you’re here. Looking forward to the upcoming months, 2009. I think it’s going to be good.

Ready,
Desiree