10/17/08

i bake when it's rough

This week, I've made two pans of apple crisp, chocolate chip cookies, ginger snaps, pumpkin bread, sugar cookies, and granola. To say the least, the downs have been outweighing the ups around here lately. As therapeutic as it is to pour out my frustration into bowls of batter, I'm glad to say that I baked nothing today. There is a new freedom surfacing, from all of the blows of the week, and today I've been exercising that freedom: I went for a walk and found a bright yellow leaf the size of my head. I ate an apple I picked. I made a new friend at the learning center--Kanti from India, with the widest smile I've ever seen. I trained a new girl at Midtown, who happens to be my cousin Aly. I cried a little when I received a letter from all of my Thailand family at Pepperdine.

I am otherwise well, enjoying Agricultural Justice month with Sojo, planning some IJM activities for the next few weeks, and of course dealing with Burma. Yesterday was World Food Day, and I celebrated with the "Dollar a Day Challenge" (living on a dollar for food).

Thanks for taking care of me.