10/8/08

about the beauty, of the beauty, and why it matters

This week has been filled with so many good and important things. I have been running from wonderful thing to wonderful thing and am finally able to sit down and process a little of what has happened...but just a little.

Last week was filled with planning and brainstorming for jump-starting a local chapter of the US Campaign for Burma. I’ve been in communication with regional directors from the campaign in DC and am starting to get a feel for how this thing will take form. Within the next few weeks, I’ll be leading the HRA meeting on the current situation in Burma. So lots of research and preparation and prayer is in order until then.

On Saturday, we had the Art Music Justice Tour come to Messiah, where artists Sara Groves, Derek Webb, Sandra McCracken and others came for a discussion and concert. It was incredibly encouraging to hear about their efforts as advocates. IJM and Food for the Hungry co-sponsored the event and, after a plug from Sara Groves, we were able to talk to interested students about what our IJM chapter is doing this year. Also, because there weren’t enough “merch” people, I stood behind Charlie Peacock’s table, delivering a terrible sales pitch for books and cds I knew nothing about. Fun times.

I spent most of my time in kitchens on Sunday, cooking Thai food for friends (a reunion at Katie’s and a cooking lesson from P’Jips and P’Catty).

Monday, I went to DC with some housemates and friends for a conference on the global food price crisis. It was interesting and, unsurprisingly, scary. I can’t quite wrap my mind around the ins and outs of our global economy, but I want to be a responsible consumer and learn more about who is most devastated because of overwhelming shifts, drops, jumps, etc. Check out baselinescenario.com.

Other than watching and talking about the presidential debates, preparing for World Food Day (Oct 16, mark your calendars!), and talking about fair trade coffee options on campus, I’m spending a lot of time with my housemates and looking forward to fall break...which is now! Lindsay, my dear friend from California who was in Thailand with me, is flying out for a visit, which will be amazing! And tomorrow, I will be taking P’Jips and P’Catty apple picking because they’ve never seen apple trees before!

Needing the change of pace. Loving the change of the leaves. Sensing I’m on the verge of something really important/pivotal. Feeling perpetually cold. Seeking more answers. Humming often. Riding my bike even more often. Missing important people. Celebrating birthdays. Wondering about the future. Making lists. Telling stories about why it matters.