7/22/08

put your elbows on the table

I’ll listen long as I am able - who knows what we’ll find? (otr)

I’ve been listening a lot this week, as well as sharing, and usually over a table. There was a Thailand reunion in there and then Lauren came and stayed with me last week. There were picnics and coffee dates with other friends in the area. A few experimental dinners. The honeymooner’s return. Lots of celebrating. Lots of working.

And then there was a premature death of a Messiah student. And there’s been grief and anger and comfort and deep-down peace. And a friend confronted her brother’s death. And a man who was in a rough spot was crying on the sidewalk outside my front door.

It takes only a single piece of news to snap things into perspective. Things have been snapping a lot lately. Everything feels fragile. Life keeps looking a little bit different. I don’t value it enough. I don’t value my days, my health, my opportunities. Or mysterious grace or promises or second chances or having my needs met. I don’t count my blessings enough. I don’t celebrate enough. I don’t cry enough. I don’t take chances enough. I don’t value you enough.

All this to say: The big questions are coming in waves. And I’m in it.



















“I do not at all understand the mystery of grace - only that it meets us where we are but does not leave us where it found us.” Anne Lamott