These last few days have been a whirlwind of events (nothing new to me lately), but I’m here in this quaint little city, my belongings are still a lump in Danielle’s living room, and I have scrapes all over my arms from packaging a gazillion books at the warehouse. Last weekend, I drove down here just in time for a bachelorette party and made it out to Lancaster the next day for a bridal shower. Monday morning, I hit the ground running, found my way to Midtown Scholar, and started work.
I really love my new job. I get to spend all my time in the presence of books and so many great personalities. I’ve been thoroughly enjoying my unique coworkers and learning about their lives. It’s become evident to me, in only these last few days, that God had a good idea when he sent me there, more on this later.
On my off hours, I’m getting myself oriented (and, well, let’s be honest: lost) in Harrisburg, finding grocery stores and farmer’s markets, and confronting my long-time fear of parallel parking on the narrow side streets. It’s been particularly fun meeting up with Katie, my closest friend from Thailand, who just recently moved to Mechanicsburg - it's good to spend a lot of time with someone who doesn’t need to catch up on the last five months of my life and vice versa.
In other news, I'm thinking a lot these days about what it means to be a "cultural refugee", practice resurrection everyday, and be an American with global eyes, thanks to Shane Claiborne (and his new book) and conversations with Katie.
I feel it in my toes; I’m stretching and growing here. Being thrust into new experiences with new people and new challenges is where I’m weakest and Jesus shines the most. This summer looks promising.