- It feels like a thousand years since I last wrote anything; so much has happened in only a week. I've been profoundly impacted by what I've seen and experienced; I just got back from Mae La Refugee Camp, the largest of seven refugee camps in Thailand (on the Thai-Burma border) specifically for Karen people fleeing Burma's oppressive military regime. I found a Calcutta there. Be expecting posts on this later.
- For now, I'm safe. The cyclone hit close, we drove through a nasty storm, but we were all unharmed, for those of you who sent many emails and prayers. Thanks for your concern.
- An estimated 100,000 Burmese/Karen people are dead. 41,054 are missing. Over a million people are homeless because of Cyclone Nargis.
- Aid is limited because of Burma's uneasy relationships with the international community; right now, no US citizens are being allowed in Burma to do relief work. I feel helpless in the face of this huge tragedy.
- Regardless, I'm flying out of Chiang Mai tomorrow and will be stopping in TaiPei for a day before going home.
- Please pray for Burma with me.
- I love you and I really can't wait to see you.
Broken and thankful,
Desiree