5/16/08

bittersweets.

It’s been several days now, since I left Thailand, and I’m adjusting. Even though my Thainglish comes out more often than not, my prime time is still 5:30 am, and my digestive system is going through some serious changes, I’m easing back into things.

I’ve been keeping myself busy these days, refurbishing my hot pink/purple/FUSCHIA bike (“WILD WAVE”) that I used to ride when I was ten. I’m intending to use it to get around this summer in Harrisburg and next year in Grantham. I’ve been going for lots of walks, reading some thought-provoking books, experimentally cooking Thai food, following what’s going on in Burma and China, planning for a few wedding showers/ bachlorette parties, reconnecting with friends, etc.

The further I’m removed from my time at Mae La refugee camp, the more disturbed I am by my experience there in comparison to the comfortable life I’ve returned to here. I’m eating three meals a day, I have more than what I need in all categories of possessions, I don’t have barbed wire around my neighborhood, I’m not thinking about whether or not the authorities will raid my house, I’m not wondering if the next cyclone will wipe away my community, I’m not concerned about malaria or the safety of my family. It’s harder to swallow the reality of my life of privilege here while my most recent friends are consistently oppressed and forced into poverty. While I feel like I’m supposed to be here, there’s a very big part of me that has yet to return. I don't know if I ever will. I'm not sure that I want to.

I started another blog, in the meantime, so I can start posting photos, stories, quotations, etc. in honor of my friends at Mae La. Check it out if you’re interested: jesushangsinrefugeecamps.blogspot.com...I think you can access it from my profile or something? I still feel like a novice blogger.

The lilies of the valley are in full bloom, I’ll be hugging my senior friends at graduation and solidifying summer job plans on Saturday, and His mercies are new every morning, great is His faithfulness, right? Chay, kha.

peace.