I visited my other summer home last night..Spruce Lake. Slowly driving up Wilderness Camp Road, examining all the trees and a baby fawn, I was suddenly struck that coming to camp was like a homecoming for me. There's something so sacred about that place for me. Before I even reached the pavilion, I was bombarded by my brothers and sisters who carried me for the last several summers. I was so overwhelmed with their responses to my visit that I found myself fighting back the tears.
After singing my heart out wilderness camp style, dancing up front with Chelsie, Erika, and Bean, dancing in the back with Logan (who is almost SIX YEARS OLD and is GOING TO SCHOOL IN A FEW WEEKS), I had the honor to hear the one and only Basil share his heart and witness so many youth weekers do business with God on the volleyball court. It was such a blessing to be able to see what God has been doing at Spruce Lake this summer, if only for a few hours. I was so disappointed I couldn't stay longer, but it was refreshing and important for me to be there last night. They had invitations, and I have full faith that God did some amazing things, even if I didn't hear about them. I was disappointed I only got to see Todd for a few seconds and Suzy and Laura weren't there, but spending some time with Marina was amazing. Spruce Lake has been on my heart all summer...I forgot just how much of my heart still lives there. God certainly has a funny way of bringing things back to me. It was also good to see the Kauffmans, Lanee's expanding belly!, and some of my dear campers from past summers, as well as all the other staff members I've missed.
Coming back here was bittersweet. But as I'm thinking about it on this slow-moving Thursday afternoon, I am realizing how blessed I really am to have so many homes. Spruce Lake will always be a home for me and my sisters and brothers from there will always be family for me. I fell in love with Thailand this summer and seriously miss my family there...and I can see it becoming a home. Messiah friends have been instant family for me, and I appreciate and thank God so much for the relationships I have there. Sometimes I get frustrated that every single day of my life, I will be missing someone, but today I am so thankful that I can feel this disconnectedness. My mind is on Thailand, my heart is in Spruce Lake, my body is in New Jersey and I'm packing for Philly.
I'm glad that I have Jesus to witness my experiences with me, hold my hand in new places, dance with me in old places, and bring new people into my life to love and be loved by...I'm thankful that he goes before and behind and knows all. There's so much comfort in that for me today.
For those reading this, I'm thankful for you.
A slightly sentimental, reminiscent Desiree
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment