There is a song by Ray LaMontagne that is called "Be Here Now". It is soft and and gentle and unfolding, like a quiet invitation to sit and be quiet and be willing and be.
I sped through a lot of 2010. Much of this year was a time of action - enjoying parts of my time with Habitat, growing deeper love for my community and neighborhood and church, plugging into each with much energy and commitment. There were many weddings, flights, new babies, strengthened relationships. Countless cups of coffee with friends, shared loaves, demonstrations of God's abundance. Celebrations with Burmese friends, new friends in Vancouver and around the world, surprises (many of them by joy). A few dreams come true: time for exploring the Pacific Northwest, laying my eyes on Glacier National Park, growing some of my own food, a long train trip. Way too many books read and journals filled. A completed resolution - reading through the Bible. One transition after another. I think about all these things and I feel grateful.
I am on the other side of 2010, and I have arrived in 2011 with Ray's song in my head - be here now. It is time to be slow and to be quiet. I am learning how to say yes to this inner invitation to actively sit in a posture of listening and learning. My pace is changing, by the grace of God, and I am going to take it slow and quiet for a while, not knowing when it will be time to fly and sing again. For now, I am in Harrisburg. I don't know when God is going to tell me to get on a plane and reconnect with what God is doing in Thailand. I don't know what God is telling me to do while I am here in Harrisburg. Everything is gloriously fuzzy. I have no timeline, no immediate plans. And yet, on most days, I am at peace with all of these things (also by God's grace).
I think it's going to be an important year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
dez: this is snippets of me. indicatedbelow.blogspot.com
ReplyDeletei so enjoy every gathered moment with you.
so. enjoy. :)