6/20/10

night-blooming primroses

Every evening, the night-blooming primrose promises new blossoms, a sweet fragrance, and a show to be enjoyed by all passersby. Dad gave me two night-blooming primroses for my garden earlier in the Spring (thank you!). With plenty of sunshine, some good soil, and a decent amount of rain, these mini-miracle flowers are producing and never cease to amaze me. Approximately fifteen flowers, responding to their internal clock around dusk each evening, burst open from their splitting buds, fully blooming in a matter of seconds. By morning, they are done. If this is a wonder you have never seen, make it a life goal to behold the night-blooming primrose's performance. As a child, I remember pushing bedtime to be able to see the night-blooming primrose spring open before my eyes. As a twenty-three year old, things haven’t changed. This time around, however, I am able to share my wonder with the little neighborhood kiddos. Together we excitedly wait for God’s creation to reveal a new set of yellow flowers each evening.

Tonight I counted sixteen flowers - sixteen miraculous demonstrations of God’s creativity. It has been a full, fruitful last few weeks (and I’m not even talking about the leafy and lush plants that fill my garden space!). Every single day has been packed with mini-miracles, another sort of night-blooming primrose that amazes me, tickles me, sends me into giggles and thanksgiving, invites me into hard thinking, reminds me of my humanity, God’s divinity, and the mysteries surrounding both. Over the next few days, I am going to share some of these miraculous blossoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment