2/11/10

neighbors

After being snowed in for two days, it was time to leave. Amanda graciously helped me dig out my car and I was feeling pretty confident when I got behind the wheel and backed my vehicle out of its spot, just enough so that fifty percent of it was in the alley. Of course, like every good 18-inch snowstorm promises, I got stuck spinning donuts in a rather unfortunate position. I used what I had--tools, brain power, and Amanda’s support--to try to get unstuck. Just then, a man smoking a cigarette walked behind my car in the alley.

“Hey, do you need help?”

I paused. He had gold teeth and wore a black hoodie with a skeleton on it. “Yes, yes I do,” I said. Amanda gave him a shovel and he chopped up ice blocks and tossed snow onto the waist-high snow mountains all around us. His name was Louis and he’s lived in Allison Hill for the last six years. He is a car mechanic and just renovated his shop, which happens to be directly behind my house and a source of my curiosity for months. He said he liked the snow, but this was too much. I agreed. He wondered out loud why we lived in Allison Hill. I told him I liked the neighborhood. He shrugged. I still wasn’t able to get out of my parking spot, nor move back into it. He whistled and his cousin came walking slowly up the alley with his snow-blower. He blew all the snow in front of my car and then he and Louis pushed my car back into its spot to snow-blow the back.

I was thankful and frazzled and wished I had baked oatmeal bread that morning so I could offer them thanks in my love language (baked goods). I told him I wished I had money or something, rather awkwardly, but with good intention (mixed with pride and my usual desire to not receive without giving).

“For what?” Louis asked.

“Well, to thank you for all your help. You didn’t have to dig me out of this mess, but I’m really glad you did.”

“No, no, Desiree. We’re neighbors. This is what we do. We help each other out.”

Jesus has a funny way of speaking. Sometimes it is quiet and unfolding and surfacing. Other times it's so direct and unassuming and frank that it makes me laugh. Jesus, through my new friend Louis, put me in my place today. And I laughed.

I thanked him (Louis) a few more times, before he backed my car out of its spot and gave me a few recommendations on how to round the corner. He followed me, by foot, out of the alley to make sure I was okay and I felt deep gratitude for his genuine consideration. It is entirely good to feel completely cared for by a complete stranger who, pre-interaction, intimidated me. It is entirely good, too, to have a slice of humble pie and encounter Jesus next to the snow mountains.

When I first moved to Allison Hill, I remember telling people that I moved into “a neighborhood in need of good neighbors”. Little did I know--and quickly am I learning--that I’m the one in need of a good neighbor and good neighbors are in abundance in Allison Hill. The need for good neighbors is mutual, and I am thankful that Louis helped meet mine today.

The lessons in receiving continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment