8/23/09

summer reflections

I am in Harrisburg for a few months and feel entirely good about committing to a location and people first, and a job and living situation second. Since I have been visiting my family in New Jersey for a few days, I am uncovering some of the precious things I’ve explored this summer, living in my new community, rubbing shoulders with my new people.

I’ve learned,

From my babies: To play harder, be more curious, love more indiscriminately. To be held and speak frankly.

From the farm: It takes a long time to make things grow. And all things in life are out of my control, including weeds. And I am okay with the weeds in my life.

From my bookstore: Everybody needs friends, regardless of how stony their exteriors may appear, regardless of how high their barrier of books is.

From my roommates: God provides. And hugs and meaningful conversations and eating meals together are just as nutritious as spinach, enough sleep each night, and exercise.

From being on the road: I will never tire of making friends in new places. My travel itch will never be satisfied.

From my refugees: To be more grateful and thrifty. To remain connected always to those who live below the poverty line. To enter into other’s struggles and celebrations intentionally.

From my neighbors: To listen to R&B/hip hop music. And to LOVE it.

From friends’ weddings: To say yes when asked to dance.

From bike rides: It is better to not ride downhill without functioning brakes. And it is best to have friends in midtown with bikes I can borrow to ride home after brakes fail.

All in all, lessons learned. And lessons learning. Another page turns. Habitat and Harrisburg this year.