1/25/09

rejoice with me

Because of answered prayer, I’m asking for your prayers. Let me tell you about an answered prayer (or two) so that you can rejoice with me.

For the last several months, since I have been back from Thailand, I have been thinking a lot about my experience in the refugee camp. My thoughts have turned to prayers for Burma and refugees and Burmese refugees in our communities. I’ve participated in a few awareness efforts, but have remained sadly disconnected from Burmese refugees here. I know that they are in Harrisburg and it made so much sense that I would find them in some way and understand (a little) about their situation and be able to help. There were hoops to jump through on all levels with Catholic Charities (the resettlement agency) and my experiences teaching English at OIC brought me wonderful friends from other countries, but no Burmese refugees. I thought my prayers were a little too specific--why Burmese refugees, other than that I spent a few days with some in Thailand? I stopped praying for specific opportunities to be with Burmese refugees here and just enjoyed being with immigrants and refugees from everywhere.

Also in these last few months, I’ve been thinking about and praying for my church home here, Harrisburg Brethren in Christ. I have fallen in love with their vision for racial reconciliation and justice and peace in the city. While I’m busy with many para-church things, I really want to support and invest in this beautiful community I have grown to appreciate. Because of this, I started praying for opportunities to serve in my church, in some capacity, so my participation could be more than Sunday mornings. Praying these prayers probably sounds crazy to those of you who know me well and remind me often that I cannot do it all. I’m learning this and your meaningful reminders and examples help me a lot. But after cutting most of my “extras” for this upcoming semester, I have been feeling like my time allows for something else. I just didn’t know what.

Last Sunday, in the bulletin, there was a listed need for an ESL teacher to tutor Burmese refugees at church on Wednesday evenings. Apparently, the Burmese refugees in Harrisburg had been coming to our community dinners, participating in programs like Toys for Tots at Christmas, and regularly receiving groceries from our food pantry. Burmese refugees. In my community. At my beloved church. Needing an ESL class. I coordinated nothing. I did nothing. I worked out nothing. I made no phone calls. I contacted no organizations. I asked no questions. It just happened. Rather, I believe God made it happen.

Even as I write this, I have goosebumps. After talking to Pastor Woody on the phone earlier this week and brain-storming and praying with Pastor Cedra today, I am entirely excited at this new ministry opportunity. I am taking time to pray and Pastor Cedra and I will start visiting the families this month to see how we can meet their needs in other ways. We’ve already made a grocery list for the food pantry to have their essential food items and we are going to invite the congregation to dream and plan with us. And I have an entire group of students who expressed interest in “being buddies” with refugees in Harrisburg. We have van-drivers and energized babysitters and a whole lot of untapped potential. There are so many needs and so many willing givers.

I am overwhelmed with gratefulness. I don’t know what this means or what will happen, but I have a fresh excitement about participating in God’s vision for this city and community for these next few months...and maybe longer. Please keep me in your prayers as I cautiously and thoughtfully take next steps.

Also rejoice with me: Doug is moving to Harrisburg! He’s going to live in an intentional Christian community (Sycamore House) and I am so excited that I’ll get to hang out with my favorite brother for my last months at Messiah!

God is good, yeah?