4/12/08

Karen Village (part 2)

Apologies for the last entry--after riding in a c-law for five hours, I was a little out of sorts.

It really does feel great to be back in Chiang Mai. As much as I hate to admit it, one thing that has been more challenging for me of late is feeling connected to you on the other side of the world. We all look at the same moon, yes...but at different times. I'm not homesicke (or maybe I'm in denial), but there are certain people I want to hug right now and others I am more than ready to sit down with over coffee. God has always provided for me relationally--this experience in Thailand has been no exception--but I'm ready to share what's happening in me and around me with you.

Things that I'm thinking about/Things that are worth noting before we reune:
- I have accidentally fallen in love with Thailand, no matter how much I have resisted, giving into the practical thoughts that say I've hardly seen anything else in this huge world and God could be calling me anywhere. This may mean nothing more than it's going to be painful to leave...but it could mean other things. Praying through stuff.
-I thrive most when there are lots of people around me who I can invest in, serve, and love; I thrive in new cultural settings; I thrive when I'm living in community...I'm thriving.
-I feel less and less connected to the idea of home being a place...and I've been feeling more and more connected to the people that make me feel like I'm home...many of you readers, my brothers and sisters here and abroad, Mom and Dad and Danielle and Doug.

I am really looking forward to the things that are coming up: another two weeks at the village, doing research and getting to know some more of the locals, the remainder of my time in thailand with kara, helping with wedding plans, living with Danielle in Harrisburg, doing things that require little brain power, cooking Thai food for people, roadtripping to see important people, getting together with my future home-mates to plan things, a few summer weddings, meeting Andrew and Crystal's baby, visiting Grandma and Grandpa at Messiah Village.

My heart feels full today--it feels good to be here and it feels good to be going somewhere else. (And it felt way good to talk to Mom and Doug this morning :)

AGAPE
me