So much happens in three days! Yesterday, I went on this awesome hike to Doi Suthep Wat, which is one of the most beautiful temples in Chiang Mai. It was gorgeous and stirred a lot of wonder and deep sadness in me to see so much of a people and culture invested in something that makes me feel so empty. Following that, we had the most AMAZING two hour massage I have ever had...make that the ONLY two hour massage I have ever had. Ajaan Mike treated us to these full-body massages that seriously changed me. It felt that good. And you wouldn’t even believe me if I told you how much it costed. So I’m not going to tell you.
I moved into my host family’s house this morning. We had a big, nerve-wracking ceremony this morning - each student sat at a table with a name tag conspicuously placed in the center, hoping each smiling parent that walked by would be ours...this is the first time I ever felt like an orphan who wanted to make a painfully good impression on my family. We had our pictures taken, presented the family with a gift/flowers, and arranged all the details regarding public transportation to/from school/home/internship.
I had a good day, enjoyed lunch with Khun Me (my mom) and my little sister Ning (10) and brother Nam (17) - it feels great to be a big sis! Khun Pa has been absent and I’m told he will be here tomorrow...but I’m also told to expect the unexpected, so I’m not counting on anything! So far, my time here has been filled with a lot of awkward silences because my dear family is not confident in their English and I’m not very confident in my Thai. I did, however, enjoy a lovely walk through a nearby garden with Khun Me this afternoon. And Ning showed me some of her favorite spots and took me to a spirit house that she goes to sometimes. To pick up food from the market, we passed by a lawn with chairs and a big screen TV and a bunch of tech guys trying to get something set up for something (I still have no idea what). Next thing I know, I hear something about the farang (foreigner) and Khun Me is urging me to take the microphone in front of the big screen, on a stage type thing in front of the chairs. Apparently Khun Pa was on the screen and there was a web cam that allowed him to see me. I awkwardly said Sawadeeka into the microphone and everyone stopped what they were doing and laughed at the farang. I was really embarrassed, to say the least, but everyone thought it was great. I still have no idea what that was all about, but I’ve learned to just smile and nod and most of the time things will be okay. We had a great family dinner, too, and I can tell that I’m really going to love it here. They are impressed that as a farang I can eat “sa-picey” food. I’m learning; my stomach is resilient!
What is also SUCH a blessing is that my house is literally across the street from Chiang Mai University (it’s an approximately 20 minute walk from where I live and I’ll be able to walk to and from everyday, passing the main drag of the main street of the city). Pretty much everything I need is on that street (including adorable cafes where I like to study with my friends), so that was really nice. I’ve heard, for some people, that their houses are so far out into the country that once they go home after their internships, it’s really hard to get a song tau into town to meet up with anyone.
I’m feeling really good about this living situation, especially after my sister Ning showed me a picture of their other sister/daughter Carrie who was a student from Harvard and very funny and a “jokester” - so hard to compete with that! She said “Carrie was good. But you are more good because you try speak Thai”. I’m glad someone’s appreciating my butcherage of this beautiful language. I’m hopeful yet.
Tomorrow, I will be starting my internship with Agape House. I decided to be with sweet darlings who live with HIV+/AIDs and are without parents. I’m still not exactly sure what my responsibilities will be, but tomorrow (if I can get there!) will be filled with orientations, introductions, etc. Each day here is hardly comparable to the last.