I often hear the phrase "voice for the voiceless". Various nonprofit organizations that I know and respect use this as a means of explaining what they do. They stand up and act as advocates for those who don't have voices. I was pretty determined to one day be a voice for the voiceless.
Things are changing in me, though, and I don't want to be a voice for the voiceless. I don't have a loud voice. I've tried yelling to make myself heard, but that doesn't come naturally. Squealing is silly. And when I sing or share things from deep within, I'm really quite soft. My voice isn't very loud, but I want to use it. Not necessarily to speak up for those who can't speak up for themselves (I'm not ruling this out yet...) BUT to help other people find their voices. There are few things I like better than singing a song with a group of people whose voices blend with mine and create rich harmony or praying Thai-style in a circle, presenting requests to God in a soft chorus. I want to join other people who have soft voices who help other people find and use theirs.
As Lilla Watson says: "If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time...but if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together." Let's talk, let's sing together, because I think that I like that idea better than a few soloists singing really loudly and drowning out the rest, no matter how good their intentions or beautiful their voices.
I have so much to learn from the all-encompassing you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment